Monday, June 1, 2009

Old Barns

I can hardly pass by an old barn without stopping to document its existence. They evoke feelings of sadness and loss to me because they are disappearing from the landscape so rapidly. In fact, the landscape is disappearing so rapidly! I'm sure the people who sell them or abandon them think it's a sign of progress. And the companies who buy them and bulldoze them down to make a parking lot or strip mall think it's just good business. It reminds me of a quote from one of my favorite movies, You've Got Mail:

"In fact, someone, some foolish person will probably think it's a tribute to this city, the way it keeps changing on you, the way you can never count on it, or something."



It would never do for me to be on a city planning commission. Before I'd approve the construction of something new, I'd require the builder to tear down and reclaim the land littered with abandoned businesses. We just keep eating up the land and the wildlife for our convenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop