Saturday, August 29, 2009

Enjoy Memories

When I was a little girl, my dad built an 8x10 playhouse for me in the backyard near my swingset. I can remember him working on it every Saturday until it was complete with electricity and playhouse-sized furniture. Sadly, this is the only picture I have of me near the playhouse (an old b&w polaroid). I'm holding a doll (I think it's my Davey Crockett doll!) and have on white socks ... and that's about all you can see of me!



As I grew older the playhouse turned into a storage building. When my children were little they were only able to get into part of the playhouse but still have fond memories of playing in there. When my dad died and my mom decided to put the house on the market I told my husband I had to have the playhouse. He made the arrangements to have it moved from Phenix City to Montgomery. Unfortunately, we turned it into a storage building, too. So, it has just been sitting in our backyard for years. With my son's encouragement I undertook the refurbishing of the playhouse as my summer project. His girls' (my granddaughters') birthdays are in August, so my goal was to have it ready for an official opening on their birthdays. With a lot of help, I was able to pull it off and presented it to them last Sunday:



I don't know what happened to all the original furniture, but I found some great kitchen furniture on playkitchens.com and a dear friend found me an antique doll cradle.



I pulled out Grammie's (my husband's mother) best china for the opening day celebration. That's Cindy, one of my daughter's dolls, who has been invited to join the tea party.



I think it was a hit all around. The girls didn't want to go home and we had a great time watching them play.



And don't be distressed about the "girls only" sign. When the grandsons get old enough we'll build them a great tree house and put a "boys only" sign up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop