Saturday, May 7, 2011

Apple's Not-so-Smart iPad2 Cover

Warning ... this is not a pretty post!

This is the Apple iPad2 cover that cost me $359. "Why," you ask, "would you spend $359 for a cover that is advertised for $39?"

Well the answer is, "Because I believed Apple when they clearly stated on their site, 'The Smart Cover and iPad 2 were made for each other. Literally. Built-in magnets draw the SmartCover to iPad for a perfect fit that not only protects, but also wakes up, stands up, and brightens up your iPad. That’s not just smart. It’s genius.'"



But this is what happened the first time I dropped my iPad2:



Note the cover still on.

The drop was so slight I didn't even open the cover to see if anything was wrong with it. I've dropped my cell phone with much greater force (cell phone is a blackberry, not an iPhone!).

Not only did the screen shatter, but look at the damage on the edges. It must be made of aluminum foil!!



So, I enjoyed my iPad2 for about a month, and then had to pay $320 to replace it (even though the computer part still worked fine) because it was "damaged beyond repair" !!! So, $39 for the Smart Cover that wasn't really such a smart idea after all, plus $320 for a replacement. And then the customer service rep says, "Is that satisfactory?"

If I wasn't afraid my grandchildren might see this post I'd use bad words to describe what I was thinking at that moment. "Well ... no that isn't satisfactory, but what else am I going to do!!! Really???

Throw $538 into the trash can or throw another $320 into Apple's coffers? Well, let's see...

Well, I can fault Apple for a horrible design, but I can't fault them for poor service after robbing me of another $320. I took the iPad to the UPS store on Monday morning and I had a new one back Wednesday morning. ... and it was charged to my credit card on Friday morning.

Needless to say I've ordered a strongbox to keep the new one in. I still haven't taken it out of the wrapper and won't until the new case - made by someone other than Apple - is delivered.

So, if you're ordering an iPad2 please skip the Smart Cover. It's really not so genius as they would lead you to believe.

1 comment:

Anna said...

that makes me want to cry for you :(

Post a Comment

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop